Carlos Alexandre, Filipe Marques and José Ranito national candidates for the post of European Public Prosecutor

Date:

Share post:

Magistrates Carlos Alexandre, Filipe Vilarinho Marques and José Ranito are the names sent by the Ministry of Justice (MdJ) to the Council of the European Union as the final national candidates for the post of European Public Prosecutor, the MdJ revealed today.

Responding to the Lusa news agency, the Ministry of Justice said it had on Friday forwarded to the Council of the European Union the names of the candidates previously shortlisted by the Superior Council of the Judiciary (CSM) and the Superior Council of the Public Prosecutor’s Office (CSMP), so that they could be heard by a European Union selection committee, in accordance with European regulations on the appointment of the European National Prosecutor.

After all the candidates (five) had been heard in the Portuguese Parliament, the Ministry of Justice states that Portugal “has nominated Judge Carlos Manuel Lopes Alexandre, Judge Filipe César Vilarinho Marques and Public Prosecutor José António Lopes Ranito as national candidates for the post of European Public Prosecutor”.

The candidacy and selection process for the successor to Prosecutor José Guerra, whose term as Portuguese European Prosecutor ends in July, has been marked by controversy and twists and turns, with candidates withdrawing, as was the case with Judge Ivo Rosa, who joined the Central Criminal Investigation Court (TCIC) and led the investigation of the “Operation Marquês” mega-trial, among others.

On July 27, 2020, José Guerra was appointed European National Prosecutor at the European Public Prosecutor’s Office, an independent body with the power to investigate, prosecute and support charges in investigations and trials against the perpetrators of criminal offenses affecting the Union’s financial interests, such as fraud, corruption or cross-border VAT fraud worth millions of euros.

Related articles

gov.pt portal launched in September and application in the 1st quarter of 2025

The single digital services portal gov.pt will be launched in September and the application will take place in...

Films censored during the Estado Novo and a reinforced dose of Portuguese short films at MOTELX festival

A reinforced dose of Portuguese short films, films banned by the Estado Novo and Edgar Pêra's new feature...

Vista Alegre eyes Asia and the Middle East in partnership with Ronaldo

The president of Vista Alegre said in an interview with Lusa that Cristiano Ronaldo's investment in Vista Alegre...

Benfica win women’s field hockey Portuguese Cup for the 10th time in a row

Benfica won the women's roller field hockey Portuguese Cup for the 10th time in a row today, beating...