Table of Contents

One of the most well-known and historically significant neighborhoods in Lisbon is called Chiado. It can be found between the Bairro Alto and Baixa Pombalina neighborhoods. It was formerly separated between the parishes of Sacramento and Mártires, which are today considered to be two of the smallest in Lisbon, but it has since been completely included into the newly established parish of Santa Maria Maior.

Chiado became the epicenter of Portuguese romanticism in 1846, when the Grémio Literário de Lisboa, a society for the city’s intellectuals at the time, was founded. This event marked the beginning of Chiado’s transformation into a must-visit location for anybody who wished to become well-known in the city. The author Eca de Queiroz included numerous allusions to Chiado and the Literary Guild in his work “Os Maias,” which was published in the 1960s.

In the 1980s, Chiado descended into decadence as a result of a shift in the consumption patterns of Lisbon residents as well as the opening of the Amoreiras retail area. On the morning of August 25, 1988, between the hours of 3 and 4 in the morning, a fire broke out in the Grandella building. Over the course of the day, the fire would grow to catastrophic proportions and spread to seventeen additional buildings. This section of Chiado was demolished, and the reconstruction of it consumed the entire decade of the 1990s. The rehabilitation was overseen by the architect lvaro Siza Vieira.

Today, Chiado is once again one of the most important commercial centers in Lisbon. It is also one of the busiest and most cosmopolitan neighborhoods in the capital city of Portugal, and it serves as the venue for a number of significant events.

The name “Chiado” comes from a tavern keeper who lived in the 16th century and owned a building that was placed in front of the Espirito Santo Convent. That building was eventually converted into the Barcelinhos Palace and is now known as Armazéns do Chiado.


In a neighborhood that has long been recognized for its intellectual links and is home to multiple sculptures of authors and other literary figures. A bronze statue by Lagoa Henriques depicts the great Portuguese poet Fernando Pessoa sitting at a table outside of the Café A Brasileira. Pessoa is considered to be one of the best poets to have written in the Portuguese language. In the same plaza as this statue from the 20th century, there is also a statue titled O Chiado that was created by António Ribeiro. On the other side of the road, in the plaza that bears his name, is where you’ll find the statue of Luis de Cames.

In point of fact, Fernando Pessoa had a very specific connection with the neighborhood of Chiado. The home of the poet is located in a structure that can be found in Largo de S. Carlos, directly in front of the theater that shares the same name.

As befits its status as a cultural hub, this neighborhood is home to a number of theaters, including the Sao Luiz Theater, the Trindade Theater, and the Sao Carlos Theater, which is Portugal’s only opera house. The Sao Luiz Theater was once known as the D. Amélia Theater. It is now a part of the Lisbon City Hall. One may also locate the historic Gymnasio Theater here, which has been repurposed as a shopping mall since its days as the venue for the first Portuguese fashion magazines.

The National Museum of Contemporary Art, more commonly referred to as the Chiado Museum, can also be found in this neighborhood. It houses artworks dating from the second half of the 19th century and forward.

Igreja do Loreto, an Italian church, is located on the northern side of Largo do Chiado, while Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Encarnaco, located on the other side, has exterior walls that are partially adorned with azulejos. Both churches are examples of Baroque architecture.

Largo do Carmo, known for its jacaranda trees, is also considered part of the Chiado neighborhood.

The ruins of the Carmo Convent, which was constructed in the fourteenth century and is still standing on this plaza, which is now home to the Carmo Archaeological Museum, are located here. The Carmo Fountain, which was constructed in the eighteenth century, can be found just in front of the convent.

The Carmo Quartel, which belonged to the Republican National Guard and was located right next to the convent, played a very crucial part during the 25th of April Revolution. Marcello Caetano picked the Carmo Quartel as a sanctuary from the revolution. As the location of the Estado Novo’s surrender to the armed forces of the Armed Forces Movement, this square ended up becoming the most significant stage of the revolution.

On the other side of the convent is a historic palace called the Valadares Palace. This structure has been used for a variety of purposes in the past. This palace was originally constructed on the location of the first Portuguese university, which was established during the reign of King Dinis and then relocated to the city of Coimbra.

The access gate to the Elevador de Santa Justa can be found between the Carmo Convent and the Valadares Palace. This elevator provides access from the Largo do Carmo to the Pombaline downtown, more specifically to Rua do Ouro. This elevator was constructed and put into service in 1902 by the engineer Raoul Mesnier de Ponsard, who was also responsible for the construction of the elevators of Glória, Bica, and Lavra, which are located on the hill directly across from this one. One of the most recognizable symbols of Lisbon is the Elevador de Santa Justa.

We are still in the Largo do Carmo neighborhood when we come upon the Church of the Third Order of Our Lady of Carmo, which is located in a building that is more commonly known as a residential structure. The current Montepio Geral was established in the same structure in which it is located in the 19th century.

In the adjacent Largo Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro, there is a structure that has been designated as a National Monument due to the fact that it was once the residence of the artist who gave the square its name. The house’s front is covered in azulejos.

A few meters farther on, we come to the Trindade Theater, which is owned and operated by the National Institute for the Utilization of Leisure. (INATEL). Cervejaria Trindade, with its superb tiles from the 18th century, is one of the most well-known restaurants in the city and is located on the same street as the former location of the Trindade Convent, which was destroyed in the earthquake that occurred in 1755.

The Fire in the Chiado

On August 25, 1988, a terrible fire broke out in a shop on Rua do Carmo, which is the street that leads from Baixa to Bairro Alto. Almost the entire neighborhood was destroyed. The fire engines were unable to access the pedestrian-only Rua do Carmo, whose contentious construction was the work of Nuno Abecasis, who served as mayor of Lisbon at the time, and the fire swiftly spread to the surrounding buildings on the Rua Garrett.

Buildings from the 18th century, including businesses and offices, were among those that were leveled. The damage was inevitably more severe on Rua do Carmo, which is why it was blocked off to emergency vehicles.

The Portuguese architect lvaro Siza Vieira oversaw the renovation project, which included the preservation of several of the building’s original facades.


Chiado tourist guide neighborhood

The most upscale district in Lisbon is where people congregate for a cup of coffee, to do some shopping, or before heading to the nearby Bairro Alto for a night out. After a devastating fire in 1988, the majority of the structures date back to the late 1700s; however, several of them underwent restoration and modification in the 1990s by Pritzker Prize-winning architect Alvaro Siza Vieira.

Chiado, Lisbon Chiado is Lisbon’s most elegant area, and Rua Garrett, the neighborhood’s main street, is where everyone congregates for coffee, shopping, or before going out for the night in adjacent Bairro Alto. After a devastating fire in 1988, the majority of the structures date back to the late 1700s; however, several of them underwent restoration and modification in the 1990s by Pritzker Prize-winning architect Alvaro Siza Vieira.

It’s a neighborhood that takes you back to the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the “Belle Époque,” when authors like Fernando Pessoa and Eca de Queiroz used to compose in the cafés that are now considered to be historic. The Largo Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro is one of the most photographed squares in the city, and one of the most photographed structures was constructed in 1863. The surface is covered in tiles that depict legendary figures representing Earth, Water, Science, Agriculture, Commerce, and Industry, while the Eye of Providence sits above the structure.

This is also the neighborhood where there are traditional theaters, bookshops (including the oldest in the world), upscale restaurants with Michelin stars, and stores selling worldwide brands, which gives the area a busy and cosmopolitan atmosphere at any time of the day or night.

The Aramazéns do Chiado shopping mall can be found at one end of the main street, which is known as Rua Garrett, and the iconic A Brasileira café can be found at the other end. In between, you’ll find one of the most magnificent stores in the city, which is a diamond store from 1909 that looks like it belongs to a Louis XV palace and is now a part of the “Tous” brand, as well as one of Europe’s first elevators, which also happens to be one of the most beautiful elevators in Europe. Elevator C can be found on the fourth floor of the former Ramiro Leo department store, which is now a United Colors of Benetton. Elevator C was installed in the Ramiro Leo department store. It is protected like a museum piece, with a well-preserved mirrored and gilded inside, and showing a stool with velvet-upholstered seating that was utilized by the ladies as they were being whisked up the store.

At the summit of the hill, in close proximity to Bairro Alto, there is a picturesque staircase known as the Calcada do Duque. This stairway features more restaurants as well as a picture-perfect view of the castle.


What to See and Do in Chiado?

Convento do Carmo

The gothic remains of this church, which dates back to the 14th century, are considered by many to be one of the most eerie and breathtaking sites in Lisbon. The earthquake of 1755 caused the fall of the church’s roof; however, unlike the rest of the city, the church was never rebuilt and continues to stand as a reminder of the devastation caused by the natural disaster. The chancel is still covered, and it now contains a small, eclectic archaeological museum. On display there are sculptures and artifacts discovered all across Portugal, in addition to a pair of South American mummies that are quite interesting.

National Museum of Contemporary Art

In 1911, the building that is now home to the Chiado National Museum of Contemporary Art was a monastery. In 1994, while Lisbon was the European Capital of Culture, the museum underwent an extensive renovation. It moved to an adjacent building in 2015, but there is still not enough space to show its whole collection of works by the most prominent names in modern and contemporary Portuguese art. Instead, the museum chooses some items from its collection to display in temporary exhibitions. Your excursion will come to a close on the patio that is adorned with sculptures.

Praca Luís de Camões

This square, which is often referred to as “Largo do Cames,” is located between Chiado and Bairro Alto. A bronze statue of the poet Luis de Cames, which was inaugurated in 1867, is located in the center of the plaza, and it is encircled by eight smaller statues depicting various personalities from Portuguese literature. The epic poem “The Lusiads” by Cames is brought to mind by the cobblestone images of mermaids and ships that surround the pedestal.
There is a kiosk located behind the statue that serves refreshments from morning until night.

The square is one of the most popular gathering spots in the city, particularly in the evening, and it is also one of the most important stops on tram line 28 and the terminus of tram line 24.

Terracos do Carmo

These terraces, which were formerly used as police barracks, are a part of the redevelopment plan for Chiado, which was designed by the architect lvaro Siza Vieira after the devastating fire that occurred in the district in 1988. They were envisioned as a place of public relaxation that would provide a stunning perspective of Rossio Square and the castle. They are located behind Carmo Convent and the Santa Justa Elevator, and they feature a bar that is open to the air.
Insider’s Tip: If you wish to escape the lineups on Rua de Santa Justa and enter the Santa Justa Elevator through here, you can get to the top of the Santa Justa Elevator faster.



Basílica dos Mártires

This basilica was constructed on the site of a fallen church from the 12th century following the earthquake that occurred in 1755. It was dedicated to the martyrs who fought in the battle that took place in 1147 to retake Lisbon from the Moors. It was the site of the first baptism to take place after the reconquest; nevertheless, nowadays it is most famous for being the location where the poet Fernando Pessoa was baptized. It was finished in 1784 with a stunning ceiling painted by Pedro Alexandrino de Carvalho, who was influenced by French rococo to create allegories of Portugal’s first monarch, Afonso Henriques. The building was designed in baroque and neoclassical styles. The basilica is home to a magnificent organ that dates back to 1780 and is widely regarded as being among the very best in the nation.
There is no charge for entry.

Bertrand Bookstore

According to a certificate from the Guinness globe Records that is displayed at the entrance, this establishment, which was established in 1732 by two French brothers, is the oldest bookstore in Lisbon, Portugal, and the globe. It is an essential stop because it is situated on the main street, Rua Garrett, and offers the most recent bestsellers in addition to the classics that are displayed on oak shelves that reach from floor to ceiling.
There are also newspapers and publications that are published on a national and international scale.

Igreja da Encarnacão

This church on Largo do Chiado, which was either constructed after the earthquake of 1755 or renovated after it, is the most beautiful of the churches in Chiado. It is a neoclassical reconstruction of the first one, which was inaugurated in 1708, and it wasn’t finished being built until 1873. It features two sculptures that were originally placed on the city’s medieval wall, which once stood at this location. The sculptures date back to the 17th century. The interior is coated in marble and has rocaille decorations and a sculpture of Our Lady of the Incarnation by Machado de Castro, who is considered to be Portugal’s best sculptor. The baroque and rococo interior was designed. Between the years 1784 and 1824 are when the paintings on the timber ceiling were created.
There is no charge for entry.

Igreja do Loreto

This church, which was constructed in 1518 by a group of approximately 1,200 Italians (Venetian and Genoese merchants), stands beside the Igreja da Encarnacao. (see above). It suffered severe damage in a fire in 1651 and an earthquake in 1755, and it was reconstructed in 1785 after both of these events. There are still some who refer to it as the “church of the Italians.” The interior of the building features twelve side chapels made of Italian marble, paintings that create the illusion of statues using trompe l’oeil techniques, an organ from the 18th century, and a portrait of Our Lady of Loreto that is hung on the ceiling. Borromini, one of the most influential architects of Roman baroque, was responsible for the statues that adorn the facade.
There is no charge for entry.

Teatro Nacional de São Carlos

Once upon a time, Lisbon was home to Europe’s largest opera theatre; however, it was utterly leveled by the Great Earthquake of 1755, only a few time after it had first opened its doors. Almost immediately after that, a newer and more compact one with exquisite rococo ornamentation and superior acoustics was constructed. The inside was designed to look like Naples’ San Carlo, while the outside was based on Milan’s La Scala. It still puts on operas throughout the year and has an excellent restaurant that has tables outside on the plaza. During the summer, some of the summer nights, the square is transformed into a stage where free classical music performances are held.