An application for nationality follows these steps:
1. Receipt of the application, at a registry office, consulate or by mail
2. Registration of the request
3. Consultation with external entities
4. Verification of documentation submitted
5. Analysis that all legal conditions are met to grant nationality
6. Decision on whether or not to grant nationality
7. Registration of the new Portuguese citizen in the Portuguese Civil Registry or closure of the case
For adults, it currently takes between 24 to 29 months from submission of the application for nationality to final registration of nationality for those applications that submit all the necessary documents and the correctly completed application.
About 9 to 11 months of preparation elapse between submission of the application and the start of the analysis, the analysis and related steps usually take 9 to 12 months, and the decision and final registration takes 6 to 8 months after completion of the analysis. These periods will be longer if the file is not complete and correct from the beginning and additional documentation needs to be requested.
Requests from minors, children of a Portuguese father or Portuguese mother and declared directly by the parents, are treated with priority, so the analysis and decision time may take between 2 and 4 months.