A Portuguese resident of Venezuela stated on Sunday that the situation in the country is “a real nightmare,” noting that political actors are performing “theatrical plays” to show the world what they want it to see.
“This is a nightmare, a true nightmare,” said Maria José Castro in an interview with RTP Notícias.
When asked what she fears, the Portuguese immigrant highlighted not feeling fear, but sadness. “It’s the sadness of seeing such a rich country in this misery and chaos,” she noted, adding that Nicolás Maduro will not leave power.
“I think not even in Portugal was the dictatorship as strong as this, because these people have power and, with power, they kidnap, they put on these plays and show the world what they want to show. But it’s not the truth, not the reality,” she added.
Maria José Castro, who emigrated in 1973, also highlighted that in two months the currency has devalued “as never before.”
When questioned about the United States’ role in the fight against drug trafficking, the Portuguese woman considered there is “no other way, there is no other way for Venezuela to be free.”
“Venezuela is the commercial center of drug trafficking. It’s sad. The Venezuelan government doesn’t care about sanctions because they live off drugs; now it’s visible,” she pointed out.
Regarding a possible return to Portugal, Maria José Castro admitted that she wants to do what “her mother didn’t do,” which is to “resist until the madman is out of power,” referring to Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro.
“Things are tough here. It’s difficult. It takes a lot of courage to claim the rights that are being violated,” she emphasized.
“No situation justifies alarm”
It should be noted that on Sunday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a statement saying that, so far, “there is no situation that justifies alarm” among the Portuguese community residing in Venezuela.
“As part of its mission to provide permanent support to the Portuguese Community, the Embassy and the Consulates-General are in constant contact with Portuguese residents in Venezuela, reinforcing the State’s commitment to protecting and assisting its citizens,” it reads.
It adds: “So far, there is no situation that justifies alarm.”

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that, so far, “there is no situation that justifies alarm” among the Portuguese community residing in Venezuela. However, it provided several emergency contacts “to ensure effective and timely communication with the consular services.”
Notícias ao Minuto | 15:58 – 30/11/2025
Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa expressed concern for the Portuguese community
The President of the Republic, Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, stated on Saturday that he is continuously monitoring the situation in Venezuela through the Government, reaffirming concern for the complicated situation faced by the Portuguese community.
“I have been following everything through the Government, especially the minister of State and Foreign Affairs, to foresee various possible scenarios and have solutions,” he said.

The President of the Republic, Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, affirmed today that he is continuously following the situation in Venezuela through the Government, reaffirming concern for the challenging moment faced by the Portuguese community.
Lusa | 23:06 – 29/11/2025
What is happening in Venezuela?
It should be remembered that under the pretext of combating drug trafficking, the United States has maintained since September a naval and air deployment in Caribbean waters near Venezuela.
Additionally, Washington has associated Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro with the Cartel of the Suns, a group allegedly involved in drug trafficking and classified as terrorist by the United States.
The escalation of tension between the two countries occurs as the United States intensifies pressure on Venezuela with a large military deployment, including the world’s largest aircraft carrier, and admits ground attacks on Venezuelan territory in the fight against drug cartels.

Venezuela’s airspace has become the new center of the conflict between the United States and the country led by Nicolás Maduro. Following Trump’s announcement that Venezuelan airspace should be considered “completely closed,” Caracas responded by condemning the American “colonialist threat.”
Carolina Pereira Soares | 08:23 – 30/11/2025
Leia Também: Venezuela: Petro calls for measures to the EU and civil aviation meeting




