USA remained top gas supplier to Portugal in February

Date:

Share post:

The United States remained the main supplier of gas to Portugal in February, accounting for more than a third of supplies, followed by Russia.

The United States continued in February to be the main gas supplier to Portugal, responsible for more than a third of supply, followed by Russia and highlighting the weight of interconnections with Spain, announced this Thursday the Agency for Energy (ADENE).

In a monthly bulletin of natural gas for February released, ADENE reports that the United States remained the main country in the supply of natural gas to Portugal, with a share of 37%, followed by Russia (22.6%), Nigeria (20.3%) and imported gas through the interconnections with Spain (20%).

“Notably, a fifth of the total gas imported was through the interconnections with Spain – pipelines – something that has not been seen since the end of 2018″, the agency said in a statement.

In February this year, natural gas consumption was 4,892 gigawatt-hours (GWh), 1.5% less than in the same month in 2022.

“The electricity market, which corresponds to natural gas consumed in combined cycle power plants for electricity generation, accounted for 48% of consumption, with the remaining 52% going to the conventional market,” ADENE said.

The agency’s data also show that electricity consumption in February this year amounted to 4,244 GWh, an increase of 3.1% over the same month in 2022.

The supply of electricity consumption was made up of non-renewable thermal sources 31.3% (mainly natural gas), hydroelectric 27.6%, wind 27.5%, biomass 5.7% and solar photovoltaic 5%.

Moreover, according to ADENE, the month of February was also marked by the “strong decrease of the hydroelectric component compared to the previous month – 51.6% – but with a much higher percentage than the same month in which it contributed only 5.1% of the electricity supply.

Source by Lusa https://eco.sapo.pt/2023/03/02/eua-continuaram-a-ser-principal-fornecedor-de-gas-para-portugal-em-fevereiro/

Related articles

Carris workers with 90% adherence to partial strike

Carris workers have joined the partial strike, called this week to demand pay rises and a 35-hour working...

External surplus of the Portuguese economy rises 5.6 times until May to 2,683 ME

The Portuguese economy posted an external surplus of 2.683 billion euros up to May, 5.6 times the surplus...

Films by Cláudia Varejão and Luciana Fina join the Venice Film Festival

The films "Kora", by Cláudia Varejão, and "Sempre", by Luciana Fina, will be shown in the "Days of...

Rapper 21 Savage cancels performance at SBSR festival due to illness

American rapper 21 Savage has cancelled his performance scheduled for tonight at the SBSR festival, "due to illness",...